Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Sincerely, Me.

To Whom It May Concern:

What a joy it would be to have a friend like you. So daring, so reminiscent of what I used to be. It's a curious feeling--not remembering what it's like to be a kid. Especially when those years have only barely passed. Hell, they're passing me by too fast. But you remind me of what I really miss. Those days on the swingset, closing our eyes so tight that it felt like we were flying. Wandering aimlessly with towels wrapped like snakes around our necks, saving our parents from the burden of taxes or any of those other words that were meaningless to us.

Finally, I can relive those days through you. You aren't afraid to jump off the swingset ten feet off the ground. People are so afraid of living life, so premonitious of the aftermath. They know that what happens afterward will affect the course of their life. But as kids, we ignore it because we know the best feeling in the world comes from the one you get in the moment. And there's nothing more important than that.

You might feel really weird reading this, since we're not very close. At all. But you just remind me of someone that I really miss. Someone who has left me a long time ago, when middle aged stress came upon me too early for my liking.

You remind me of myself.

So next time you lay in the street, counting the stars, not realizing the eighteen wheeler whistling closer, let me know how you feel. Because I can't remember.

Sincerely,
Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment